Broken kick starter?

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wheelie

Reaction score
The kick starter on my bike is broken. The guy i bought it from said it needed a $40 part and was another $50 for labor.

is their a cheaper route? i guess he said it just needs a clutch or something? Its a Lifan 138cc engine if that makes a difference

the kick starter drives the gear behind the clutch on all kick in any gear engines

and with start in neutral engines if the clutch is toasted then it will slip when kicking it, which in turn will not turn the crank..

so clutch has a bit to do with it..

but i agree, a little more info would help..

Push start;)

yes this is what i intend on doing until i can correctly diagnose the problem and fix it.

and about the actual problem i will have to go kick start the bike again when i can as i can not really remember to be honest lol. I believe that when u kick it, it is not engaging at all. I cant remember if it has any resistance or not

my friend had a similar problem, only his would engage half of the time. (but that was on a bigger (kdx200)

I didn't get around to a vid, but found an old pic. Should end up looking some thing like this. Start with a little smaller cut than shown, again, 4-5mm, so you can verify the changes. Angle grinder, bench grinder, bastard file, lots of devices to remove a little cold-rolled steel.

195023.jpg

Once the clutch cover and basket are off, you'll see the probable culprit. My guess is it will be the gear in the back of the basket.

CharlesZ155030.jpg

CharlesZ155025.jpg

Back