CAM chain removal help....plz xr 70

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kikdbak

Reaction score
tryin to take cylinder off 98 xr70.

It appears the onlt thing holding it in is the cam chain ... I took out ...well everything I could see.

I havent worked on a 4 stroke before.

I need some help losing my patience.

yeh undone them..... still dosent wanna come off.

Also one at base on right of barrrel is off.. i can see gap threw barrell an gear box..
and all i see holding on is the cam chain??

driving me insane should be simple..

These might help. First couple times is a pissser. After a couple dozen, it starts getting smoother;)

3367_CAM%20CHAIN%20@%20TENSIONER.gif

3367_CYLINDER%20HEAD%20COVER.gif

3367_CAMSHAFT%20@%20VALVE.gif

I will look at all those links thanks.

To update as I am still tryin.

The right side studs that go threw the barrel etc....slip straight out,

the left side studs have come out a good distance ...then just spin but won't come out.

When I look threw the gap between head and barrel...It looks like a insert/ spacer type thing is around the stud.... not spining but linking the two together.

I have taken pulley bolt off but cam chain is still tight....maybe thats holding it on?

I can't seem to se[erate the head and barrel either and I don't wanna force it..love to just jam a screw driver in and seperate em..but bad idea obviously.

Best I can explain it ...any ideas

How do I get item 3 off ... the big side plate.

That may help me get chain off i guess... hitting it with a srew driver and hammer wasn't a good idea..just tok the little toggle off.

I am crappy but persistant.
this bike will be A1 after i get the crap parts off.

you have to remove the cam gear and chain from the camshaft.

all 4 barrel studs should stay there and just the nuts come off.

the thing you can see thru the gap is the locating dowels..there to line everything up square among other reasons..

some pic's of where your up to and your concerns would help helps...

oK it appears to me..my problem is I haven't taken off the cam chain cover and undone the sproket.

I only undid can chain roller bolt( think thats wat it called,

So how dO i get the cover off?

Thanks for everyones input so far.

Ok goin bak to the shed...

I think there is a bolt on the other side I havent undone.. as someone just said..and the provided link showed..

Bugger I should have read that first,, would not have been so painful....

:beerchug:

Thanks
I hadnt undone that cam sprocket bolt no 19....

Only casualty was I cracked the caseing wear the barrell bolts to the gearbox :congrats:

It is only wear the timing chain runs ..so I was thinking i could just put some araradite.. or gasket goo over it, then put gasket goo in the whole when I bolt it in..

And should be ok...yah rekon? Or is their any othr products you would recommend?:faint:

:beerchug:

Thanks
I hadnt undone that cam sprocket bolt no 19....

Only casualty was I cracked the caseing wear the barrell bolts to the gearbox :congrats:

It is only wear the timing chain runs ..so I was thinking i could just put some araradite.. or gasket goo over it, then put gasket goo in the whole when I bolt it in..

And should be ok...yah rekon? Or is their any othr products you would recommend?:faint:

Post a pic of the crack? Should be an easy fix. Then we'll help you get the bugger buttoned up and help look for a decent PW80 for her:aetsch:

Be no pw 80 goin in my shed..lol I further assesed the crack in a holds no pressure be fine. I had a love for the little beast... my first bike was a z 50 j..

I got it sussed ,,now.. Thanks for ya help as you said next one will be easy.

Phillip is gp this weekend I seen 5 wicked dax heading down there today... all restored all smick. Was a beutiful site

Back