Clutch doing what it feels like.

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willis

Reaction score
I really can't point the problem here and have done alot of searching.

Just bought a DHZ outlaw 140 after new years, and it didn't come with a manual.
My little knowledge and small amount of researching led me to get '10w/40', so i got some castrol semi synthetic, and changed that before every ride.
First ride, no issues. Second was all good too, but very short as i snapped the clutch lever - new lever. :(

Set it up ok, and third ride started having troubles pulling in the clutch lever during shifts. This would happen in any gear shifting up or down, but completly random. The clutch lever would become rediculously hard to pull in, then might free up and be back to normal. Changed the oil, and it got even worse for the next ride. It only happens after the bike has warmed up a fair bit, riding it out the front for 10 mins doesn't cause any problems.

Any advice to steer me in the right direction to fixing this would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
The semi-synthetic could be your first problem..
Pitbike clutches severely dislike any synthetic oils, generally makes them slip...
Best oil to use is Motul 4T, which is a mineral oil... basically dont use any synthetic oils in a pitbike...
Change out your oil full mineral oil and see how that goes.
It may be worth pulling the clutch cover off, and clean the clutch plates to get all the synthetic crap out of them..

it dosent happen much but my last clutch seized completely so the plates wouldn't move at all even with the cover off the mechanic i took it to said turf it and get a new bike but yours will probably still be under warranty so contact dhz and tell them the story

have you looked at the clutch cable mount bracket on the engine? it sounds to me like it is not adjusted correctly. sometimes the cable is too long and sometimes too short so it will be loose and then bind up.

Thanks i just bought some castrol activ 4t.
For cleaning the clutch plates, should i use a contact cleaner, i have a brake cleaner, that would work yes?

i've always used petrol mate... quick and simple, just let the plates dry afterwards...

I put new oil in, and it didnt help.
The clutch is fine for the start of the ride, its only when its heats up it gets worse.

Dads mate said it is probably warped clutch plates, as i dragged the clutch a bit while running it in, and was riding on really hot days.
The entire engine gets really hot while riding, i can litterally feel the heat radiating off the clutch cover after an hours ride. Is this normal? The is also a slight ringing at a certain point in the rev range if it could be related?
Cheers.

Back