How to remove old sticker residue

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

motorman

Admin "The Cougar"
Reaction score
Hey All,

Having a hell of a time getting the old sticker glue off my plastics before applying my sticker kit.

Have tried Kero, washing it off with soapy water and scraper, Inox (Read that it disolves it on the net) with no luck at all.

Any other ideas?

Just want to get the bloody new kit on. lol

Nick

Nick i use Septone brand wax and grease remover from Supercheap. I also use it to clean the handgrips also.

Last edited:
I use Metho (or Kenco "Shiftit") Fuel, kero and turps all leave a film over the surface so it needs to be cleaned again, but they do remove it. OR use Eucalyptus oil, i have used this in the shop to remove the sticky glue from stick-tape on the windows and bench-tops, works a treat and smells nice too :)

Buy some Desolveit from Bunnings, cost around $8 for a big bottle
spray it on, wait a couple of mins and wipe it off with a paper towel.

it is also excellent for cleaning grips, and most hard to clean bits on your bike etc.

Or the goo and wax remover from bunnings works a treat

petrol should be alright, my tank leaks all the time onto my plastics

acetone will melt the plastic... petrol will work but takes some rubbing. metho is a good one but ditto, be prepared to rub, and last but least "el cheapo" creme cleanser from woolies always worked on the tape smudges left on powdercoating...even pulls permanent marker with some elbow grease applied ;)

I used petrol but I recon it lost a little shine from it but not much. Give some wd40 or rp7 a shot as thats what I usually use to get of sticky crap

I'm a signwriter and do this crap daily, wax and grease remover (prepsol) soak a rag and dap it all over so its dripping in it and just keep wiping and turning the rag you'll need a bout 5 or 6 rags mate don't worry about getting the rig dripping in prepsol just keep wiping. I can pull the graphics off, clean and apply new graphics in less then 45 mins. I might do a vid on the easiest way to apply them if anyone's interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
I'm a signwriter and do this crap daily, wax and grease remover (prepsol) soak a rag and dap it all over so its dripping in it and just keep wiping and turning the rag you'll need a bout 5 or 6 rags mate don't worry about getting the rig dripping in prepsol just keep wiping. I can pull the graphics off, clean and apply new graphics in less then 45 mins. I might do a vid on the easiest way to apply them if anyone's interested.

THIS is the way. go to a local panel shop, slip the painter $10. and ask him for a liter. put it in a spray bottle and it will last you ages.
Or if you are a REAL cheapskate.. you can rub a dub dub with eucalyptus oil.. wont work as well.. but will eventually get the residue off..

From the "Du-pont specs page"
Prep-Sol
®
3919S***8482; is a cleaning solvent specifically designed for initial surface preparation before
painting. Prep-Sol®3919S***8482; works well on the following difficult to remove elements: wax, grease, silicone, dirt, tar, insect remnants,
road film and pin stripe adhesives.

Inox actually did work I just didn't leave it long enough.

Came back last night it just wiped off with a bit of scrubbing in really built up area's.

Latest posts

Back