It just won't start!!

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justachic

Reaction score
Hi all, I have a really dumb question. I have been searching and searching and just can't find an answer. Some background - just bought a second hand crappy Atomik ProX 250cc. Not my first choice (buying a clapped out bike) but hey, little money and the need to learn how the 'mechanics' work and not just ride the buggers. So.....I am here to learn.

Anyhoo......the bike was extremely dirty and won't start - not all the time anyway and when it does it just won't idle -, so i have cleaned the filter and thought I should go about a carb clean. I have read the tutorials but can't figure out how to get the damn thing out! I've removed the seat and plastics, and the fuel tank but the frame is in the way and doesn't leave much room - even for my small hand.

Any constructive assistance appreciated. As I said I am here to learn.:)

Welcome to MR http://www.miniriders.com.au/general-chat/20824-introduce-yourself.html

So your bike will start some times and not others? There might be a loose wirer somewhere or your ground wirer (green) isn't earthed properly or your kill switch wirers are loose. It should be two bolts holding the carbi onto the engine. Just take them out.

Here are a few links you should look at:
- Bike Setup!!! - Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum
- Running Gear! - Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum
- Carby & Tuning - Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum
- Motor Tutorials - Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

There are many of people on here that are very helpfull and are willing to help out as much as possible. Please ask as many question as possible. Also can you post pics of where abouts you carbi is located as I've never seen one befor only eBay pics:
- http://www.miniriders.com.au/announcements-advertising-rates/12392-picture-posting-dummies.html

Thank you Bilco512 and Bulldog93

The spark plug had spark although is very dirty so i will be replacing that tomorrow to see if it makes a difference.

I will also check the wires and see if any are loose. I have read some of the links provided already through my searching and have found them really helpful so will be going back to them to refer to!

I will definately post a pic of the location. I'm sure it's a simple answer..........most things usually are!!

After looking at a few photos (eBay) the carbi is connected to a mainifold which would be connected to the head. You have a choice take the mainifold off with the carbi or take just the carbi off, either way it'll be two bolts holding it on (Mine are 10mm bolts). Which is standard on all pitbikes.

If you have a look at my profile page I have many helpful links which I've seen and members have posted:
- Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum - View Profile: bulldog93

Your engine is electric start. Have a look through this :
- Hooper Imports Experts on Chinese Motorcycles and Parts, Engines

It should be the five (5) wire diagram. I know sneezy had an Atomik proX and Thump*140 missus has one, so when they get on you should be set. Come check tomorrow and they should've replied (Late in the arvo though).

Posting pics. Gee I hope this works..........here goes!

Bike002.jpg

Bike003.jpg

If pasting the urls of these pics worked you can see the view from the top. If you need better pics let me know. Maybe i'm daft but i've been looking and fiddling and just can't figure it out!!!!!

Bulldog the bloke I got the from said he had the electric start by passed because he lost the key not long after he bought it. I don't know if that makes a difference?

I am going to check out the links you mentioned on you profile page.

Thanks again!

Here is a pic that I edited. It'll show where the bolts are. When you take out both of the the carbi will come of the mainfold (both bolts on my bikes are around the 10mm mark). I have outlined the bolt in yellow to show you where one of the bolts are, the other bolt will be opposite it, The cap is also outlined in yellow.

First you'll have to unscrew the cap from the carbi (Slide connects to it), Then you'll have to take out the two bolts, might be best to do it with a spanner ;). It is a very quick prosses.

AtomikpoX250.jpg

Ahhh Now it's starting to make some sense.....I did try to unscrew the cap earlier and couldn't get the spring and slide out because of that bar at the top of the frame. Perhaps i will try to take out the two bolts first and lift if up and forward a bit to get the cap right off. I will give it another go in the morning and let you know how i go.

This is so helpful...............I have always thought that if I didn't need to sleep I could get so much more done!!!!!

Haha... I'm ready for bed actually :rolleyes: lol. Yeah mate either way it should come off.

Goodluck with it and keep us posted ;)

yeah couple things you should do...most have been said above...

the only extra thing id do is set the valve clearances, replace the fuel filter or fit one if it hasnt got one and make sure the fuel line has a good path to the carb..(not going up hill at all)

Valve clearances cold are 0.05mm inlet and 07mm exhaust

these might help...(i dont think these are actually in the correct order)
YouTube - Chinese motorbike adjust valve clearance 1
YouTube - Chinese motorbike adjust valve clearance 2
YouTube - Chinese motorbike adjust valve clearance 3

let us know if your engine is different as there is also an overhead cam engine.

Ok.......whew!! Here is what has been done so far:

Have changed the spark plug
Done an oil change
Cleaned the filter
And.......dada!!! cleaned the carby..........and have just reassembled and connected

But............There is a black hose that was connected to the bottom of the carby and goes no where.........didn't go anywhere when i removed it. It was just hanging.........is this right??!! Or should it go somewhere?!!!!

I so wish I had paid attention when my dad was working on bikes when i was kid.............duh.

OH and sean i will check out those links and give that a go also. (thanks)

Yeah thats fine its just the overflow, as long as it doesn't touch the engine you'll be fine.

Yes you should've payed attention :p haha.

Haha. Good work *High fives back*. Must of been some stuff in the carbi then. Hope you stick around;).

And a huge thank you to you for all your help Bulldog (and everyone else who replied).........you are a legend for answering my slightly silly questions. I will definately be sticking around!!

Now I do believe I require a hard earned drink :)

Glad you got it working. If you come to the UK i can recommend a good bar but i think may be too far for a drink? Depends if you have your own private jet like me, hahaha i wish.

Ha I wish I had a jet......................that would fix my daily issues with Sydney traffic.

But yeah. UK is a bit far for a drink!

Aww damn....there was me getting my hopes up. Its ok I will have a drink all to myself,

**sings**
All by myself............

Latest posts

Back