Lifan 140 woes.

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

outtacontrol11

Reaction score
Hey Miniriders,

I've been trying to get a lifan 140 going, now I have it up and running finally but it has a few minor bugs in it still.

When I start the bike up it doesn't really want to idle at all, it just dies. The bike revs ok up untill about 3/4 throttle then it starts to break down a bit.

I have reset the valves, cleaned the carby and put in a fresh plug. I am thinking maybe the timing is out a tooth or so? But some help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Check to see if the timing marks are lined up right ("T" mark on flywheel lined up with indexing mark on the LHS crankcase while the cam sprocket mark is lined up with the indexing mark on the head) ...

Then check to see if the float level is OK ... too high a level can make the engine stall , run rich , splutter , crackle etc ...

Also check the ignition to see if it's firing steady by installing an inductive pickup power timing light onto the plug lead ... look into the light to see if there's a steady pulse while the engine is running ... Any misses means the plug won't be sparking at those times ...

Also check the plug on the lead of a running car engine to make sure it's firing steady and the spark is jumping across the electrode gap and not down inside thru a hairline crack in the porcelain insulator ...

Other things to check are that the jets aren't loose and that the circlip is on the needle ... blow the jets out and make sure the choke is off ...

Also , remove the air filter and look into the carb throat while you rev the engine ... if you can hear any hissing , spitting or see any misting or spray back thru the carb then you've got a bent inlet valve and it's reversion stuffing up the signal at the carb causing the break down at high revs ... A bent intake valve can cause an unwillingness to idle ... You'll be able to keep it running with a bit of throttle once started ... but it'll stuff up at higher revs when the blow back pressure exceeds the ability of the intake velocity to hold it from reaching the jets ...

Back