No compression, Lifan 125

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ericbarile

Reaction score
Hey peeps, need some help. I have a 125 that can't be kicked over or bump started, due to loss of compression I have checked the piston and rings and they seem okay still nothing I'm not sure what from here .

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Have you recently adjusted the clutch cable ?
If so try backing it off a bit and see if that help's.

And when was the last time you checked/adjusted the valve clearance's ?
.003" for the inlet and .004" for the exhaust, do them at TDC on the compression stroke

Last edited:
Yeah I messed around with the clutch cable and ill get back to you about the valves

Take off the stator cover and see whether the flywheel is spinning when you kick it, if not that would confirm you need to adjust your clutch (kickstart drives through the clutch)

Yeah flywheel spins no luck with valve clearances something else is causing compression loss

So is this engine in a a bike you've just bought?
You haven't seen it run ?

Yes I bought it brand new it's about 4-5 months old

So the loss of compression happened directly after you adjusted the clutch ?

Otherwise i'd say the valve clearance's haven't been done the right way.
Can you explain how you did them

You need to give us as many detail's in your post's as you can, otherwise we'll have to keep guessing

Last edited:
Okay well I replaced the carburetor with a brand new one like you guys said 26mm for my 125 and everything was okay, the first strange thing I noticed was the engine was smoking not from the exhaust the actual engine I thought it could be just oil so I kept riding daily then I started to notice when riding the bike it plays up when revving it goes to go cut out or turn off after running for a bit also before it lost compression it was losing power then it completelty lost compression and has just been sitting for at least over a month

Last edited:
And what about you adjusting the clutch ?
Are you trying to start it in neutral, not using the clutch ?

Yes in neutral clutch cable is connected but I don't use it when starting

Have you tried taking the clutch cable off (unhook the cable end from the arm) at the arm on the front of the clutch cover and tried to start it ?

Yes disconnected clutch cable and still no compression, can no oil cause loss of compression and when I tried bump starting all you can hear is a knocking sound

Last edited:
I have some new news, I'm able to bump start the bike in 2nd gear but I think something is wrong with the clutch because even when I hold the clutch while in first gear the bike wheel is locked also while running it makes a loud knocking sound

Yeah mate I did that and everything looks good and clean, what should I be looking for when taking off the cover

Clutch nut might be loose ?
Lean the bike over on it's left side so you don't spill oil every where, or drain the oil first.
Take the kickstart lever off, then undo all the 8mm headed bolt's and the clutch cable, then remove the side clutch cover carefully, try not to break the gasket as you take the cover off.
The clutch is toward's the front of the engine, feel for any play there left/right up/down etc

BensPik015.jpg

Remove the 4 screw's holding the push bearing plate to the clutch and take that off.
Check that the nut is tight, there should be a thin washer behind the nut with locking tab's that bend out and keep the nut from loosening

Pitbikeclutch.jpg

So the knocking noise is only there when you are riding ?

Okay I'll give those a try tomorrow and see how it goes. Yeah when the engine is on there's a loud knocking sound I can't tell if it's the valves or something else also there is no back preassure

Okay thanks for all the advice. I have taken off the clutch cover checked the clutch nut and looks alright, I noticed the washer with the locks isn't in line with gaps on the nut for the washer to lock onto it but it is tight, also did the timing the same time the clutch cover was off but still no luck it's like the clutch isn't working because when in gear it locks even with the clutch held in so I'm not sure what to do at this stage it's a bummer this happened when the bike is only a couple months old :(

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back