Reseting timing

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Helos

Reaction score
Hey guys, just want to make sure i'm doing this right. I've got a motovert 140cc which in our supreme stupidity me and mate managed to root the timing, outer rotor and cam shaft. Am i right in thinking its as simple gettting the engine to TDC, removing the outer rotor and replacing it so the timing marks line up, then just unbolting the cam sproket and setting that to face the timing mark up front?
Thanks for any help guys

yeah it is sort of like that.

remove the spark plug, and turn the flywheel around while holding your finger in the spark plug hole to seal it off.
when you feel pressure from the hole, or hear the compression leaking out, then it is coming up to TDC
now put a long thin screwdriver carefully into the spark plug hole, and slide it down into the cylinder, so the end of the screwdriver sits on top of the piston.
try not to scratch the bore/piston as you put it in etc

the marking on the flywheel, should line up with the marking inside the top of the case, (at 12 o'clock)

now undo the tensioner bolt on the underside of the motor, it will spring out and release the tension on the timing chain.
then remove the camshaft timing gear from the cam
the flywheel can now be turned around 360 degrees, (one full turn)

now you can remover the timing chain tensioner bolt from underneath the engine.
undo the sprocket on the cam and let it hang down
remove the cam gear and turn it so that the marking on the cam gear aligns perfectly with the marking at 9 o'clock on the head.
slip the gear back into the chain and hold the gear close to the cam where it bolts on.
the timing marking should still be pointing to 9 o'clock.
if not you will need to move the gear in the chain so both timing marks still line up once back together.
if it does then bolt the cam back on and tighten the bolts.
refit the timing chain tensioner bolt, refill with oil

readjust the valves and you are set to go.

HOWEVER... If you have tried to fire it up already and everything (timing wise) has been way out, the damage may of already been done i.e you may now have bent valves. But im sure you'll find out soon.

Back