burning 2-stroke exhaust clean

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GooseMan

Reaction score
So I tried to burn out the carbon in my kdx's exhaust but couldn't get the cabon to catch on fire or glow red, not even smoke. The previous owners said he tried to burn it our so I'm guessing he actually did a good job and there is no carbon left inside!

Or is it because I'm using a propane torch doesn't get hot enough?

I'll give it a shot on my ds80 soon as I know there is defiantly carbon in there.

Just wondering how you guys do it and if you use propane or not?

yeah, propane torch is the easiest way
if you stick a screwdriver down the inlet end of the expansion chamber a bit can you scrape anything off from inside the pipe?
sometimes a squirt of degreaser will help it start, once it starts burning then blow compressed air down into the pipe, try it at about 60 psi

Im not real sure about the KDX but I know my old DT200 had restrictor's in the expansion chamber.
It was like a steal mesh tack welded to the walls of the chamber in places. Im sure it was more a noise control than anything.
It might be worth investagating. I had to cut the chamber open and remove it and weld it back together.
It gave the bike the typical tinny 2 stroke noise and the performance difference was huge.

you got it in one. noise control. break up the laminar flow slightly. stop the pressure waves from hitting the chamber walls, and there goes that tinny sound. break up the pressure waves that make a tuned pipe do what it does and well, it wont do what its meant to!

so removing em might create more noise but it also makes more get up and go!

best "silencer" trick for pipes is to jam the stinger most of the way up the chamber, so its about 1/2 to 3/4 of the way into the reversion cone... it really does make a huge difference!

Latest posts

Back