Exploding tyres

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr. Jones

Reaction score
I have a dhk 1/8 monster truck that keeps exploding tyres. I've been replacing them with the standard ones due to them being cheap and I don't want to spend a fortune on better tyres if the problem is gong to persist.

I was wondering if anyone has had experience with prolines or other good brands and if you could let me know what you think.

What do u mean by exploding?? Sounds serous !!!

I use pro line and others on my short course 1/10 trucks and crawler i haven't ever had any explosions or earth shattering cabooms??

Chinese tyres do that... The stock tyres on my old 1/10 onroad nitro car peeled off and went everywhere 1st time i used it lol, the 1/8 nitro buggy's tyres lasted twice as long hahaha
Do your tyres flex sideways when turning? Unlikely but they could be contacting a rod end etc.
If not do they hang over both sides of the rims like they're too wide for the rims? If they do it will allow the ballooning effect to happen with minimal effort and could be the cause of your tyres going boom.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18fmF5Hj_c8&NR=1&feature=endscreen

3 sets of standard tyres is basically the price of one set of prolines. Prolines will outlast cheapies 10 fold
Proline's are possibly the best rc tyre manufacturer out.

Best tyres to use are Aka. Im sponsored by them and they are a great tyre. They last a long time to, a set normally gets me through a hour race. But that's high traction clay. They just brought out the Moto tyre to compete with Pro-lines Badlands.
picture of Aka's Moto tyre
AKAMoto.jpg

These will last a long time trust me.

Also when you get them buy them unglued and use some of the elastoplast tape on the inside of the tyre, this will stop it from "ballooning" as its called. Make sure to remove all of the mould release on the inner tyre

Thanks for the responses. The main problem is on 4s or more the tyres balloon really bad and at full speed decide to turn into shrapnel. I did want to get proline big joes but was too scared because I've had 1 new chinese tue burst after about 2 seconds. I think I'd cry if brand new big joes did that.

Thanks for the responses. The main problem is on 4s or more the tyres balloon really bad and at full speed decide to turn into shrapnel. I did want to get proline big joes but was too scared because I've had 1 new chinese tue burst after about 2 seconds. I think I'd cry if brand new big joes did that.

the tape stops/prevents that

i actually had some cheap rims that exploded under 4s power

Try and get a harder compound tyre. like a medium or a hard. Proline trenchers are better too

And there lies your problem 4s is gonna rip through any tread u put on
Ummm i run 4s 45c 5000mha packs in my electric buggy and also in my 1/5 truck. I have never had a blowout.

I would also suggest you tape the inside of the tyre to reduce the ballooning.

Sorta depends on where he's playing with it tho if your carving up the streets 4s bashing round nothing will last long is what I was getting at I'll shut up now lol I only got into rc for a bit and only play 2s short course on tracks .......

Thanks heaps. I had wondered if there was a solution like taping the inside but I thought it would only come unstuck.
4s may be the problem but now that I've seen what the car can do on 4s I don't think I could go back to 3s. Plus the motor is only rated at 2200kv so I'm not producing really stupid rpm. The trenchers were definitely on the shortlist and maybe nearer to the top after your advice snaptrax.

Yea it does. I work for a hobby shop and im a reasonable racer. So im a real nerd lol.
But yea if your running on street Pro-line road rage or dirt hawg. Other then those two there are a tyre made by hobao(not sure on the name) but we sell heaps of them. Not sure if they are in truggy tyres though. Where are you guys based?

Doesn't matter on the Kv i have a 2250kv tekin rx8 in my bitser 1/5 and that has to go around 70-80kms.
If its getting too hot too drop a tooth or two on the pinon gear. thats if your game enough.
You havent felt power untill you have put a e-baja on 12s.

[video=youtube;vYRauLX0CZc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYRauLX0CZc[/video]
after say... 6 packs of 4s i cooked my motor and melted my spur gear i wouldnt mind getting more power (i can control it now much better.. i want so much power that i can never hold it on full throttle

Can i have it for a bit i have the perfect thing.

Last edited:
[video=youtube;vYRauLX0CZc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYRauLX0CZc[/video]
af i want so much power that i can never hold it on full throttle

Challenge accepted

Hmm i think i fixed it.
Wack a couple of zip-ties on it an she'll be right mate
IMG_95421_zpsf128aa4a.jpg

IMG_95411_zpsa3ca3235.jpg

FIXED haha.
12s 70c 8000mha pack for the win

I think the drivetrain would be dead in a matter of seconds. and i would need a boat esc or a baja esc that goes up to 44.4v which i don't. Sorry.

Latest posts

Back