Lifan 50 tribrid suspended tadpole trike

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hmm...

I was dialing in the settings for the Vapor dash & it turns out it's slightly more difficult than I thought - seems some info is harder to come by than it outa be lol, searching around yielded too much conflicting data to be handy... so I figured I'd just ask here *shrug*

Air cooled 49cc Lifan CRF50 clone;

Normal & maximum operating temperatures (thermal sender @ plug base)?
Shift point & maximum RPM range (redline)?

Not sure why this info isn't in the service & maintenance manual, maybe it's a closely guarded corporate secret? Too late Honda... far, far too late heh

Weeeell... temptation got the best of me and I just couldn't resist any longer, so this past weekend I dragged the taddy out just for a quick initial test run around the lot... and it went far far better than expected! *lil dance*

Sure, there were some teething pains - as it turns out I'd bunged up a jackshaft bearing the last time I removed it, due to the keyed shaft being somewhat stuck & my impatience. Still, they're inexpensive & I got some good laps in before the bearing really started hatin' on me, at which point I just limited myself to the electric drive for "just a few more lil runs". heh... yea... just a "few" lol

That's the "bad" news - the good news is everything I was really worried about turned out to be fine, even better than fine & in fact I was surprised at just how well it all seems to work. It's the important stuff that can't be just "fixed" with replacement parts that concerned me, the math - the ergonomics, handling characteristics & suspension, clearance & turning radius, emergency stopping - all those pesky design details that I'd had to mostly guess & hope for the best, the ones that if faulty I'd have to chop up the frame to change.

Instead I was stunned by how well it performed, summoning up my courage I took the laps a lil faster each time to see how she did in the hard, slightly inclined turns of the lot. I was getting some sidewall roll from the front tires, but they were a bit low in pressure so I aired them up to 60psi (max) and tried it again. Now I was able to take these turns at least as fast as I could with my two-wheelers and still the taddy felt rock-solid stable, with me leaning a bit to help ofc. I wanted to try it even faster, but I was starting to get sketched out given I've still only front brakes, there's not a lot of room in the lot, it's an untried vehicle and ofc that jackshaft bearing was failing...

So I figured I'd switch to electric only and toodle down the road a bit, just to the next lot down (bout 1/16th mi) to see how she went in a straight line. I got to the lot & thought "gee, lousy place to turn around" and decided to go a bit further to the corner store as everything was going so well in any case. Cutting across the road I hauled into the lot & did a lap around the pumps and thought to myself "gee, I might as well finish the trip to my buddy's place, I'm halfway there" & zipped on over to the far side, cut out back into the road and off I went - making the trip & back again (a mere 1/2mi or thereabouts) without any problems save I desperately need mirrors, it's a pain to see behind me on this thing.

I came in hot, turning across the road & into my parking lot, leaning hard the silly thing still felt like it was on rails w/o any feeling of instability or even raising a wheel - I decided I'd do some braking stability tests as taddys are known to nose over during panic stops. I'd already tried full front braking on dry pavement with nothing interesting happening save stopping, this time I tried hitting the brakes hard right before a strip of glare ice, locking both fronts up fully then hitting the dry pavement on the other side to see if I could get the pedal boom & crankset to hit ground...

...nope, no nose over, no instability or pulling to one side, again - it just stopped like I'd asked it to.

That's a major relief as I'd had to move my seat, my body's center of mass at least 4" further forward than pedal taddys, praying the engine's weight would counterbalance it. Not only did that work out, as apparently I can't make it nose over it seems more stable than your average racing taddy!

A bit bummed that I couldn't try the four stroke drive more than I had, it couldn't overcome the sheer joy of overall success - I parked the thing and just walked around it, fighting the temptation to take off down the road again w/a a battery pack of unknown reserve being my only drive, I poked & prodded, checking fasteners & bearings, bushings & bolts... while everything still looked good I decided I'd be mature for a change & just park the thing until I could get some replacement jacksaft bearings, it really should have a thorough examination with partial disassembly to be sure everything was actually as good as it seemed before I headed out again - and there's the fact I wasn't "supposed" to be riding it at all, I was supposed to wait till spring & while it was nice & dry out, there's a wall of snowy crap headed our way... which was the final straw, why I dragged it out a lil early as it's gonna be at least another month before I get another chance.

Still, to say I'm relieved & excited would be the understatement of the century lol, the one failure an $8 part I'd broken months ago & just didn't know it.

I wish I'd taken some real vids, but I was a bit preoccupied & I hadn't planned any of this, it was a "spur of the moment" sorta thing as I caved in to a sudden impulse - I did maintain enough presence of mind to stick the cam on a stump to grab just the last few seconds of the testing, the ride down the somewhat steep, rough, muddy & root strewn trail I use to get to my shop, the final test of the day - clearance & suspension, which as you can see for yourself also went really well;

http://youtu.be/OsWM1yFVefA

Safely tucked away in the shop I thought about the one handling characteristic I wasn't completely overjoyed with - the front tire sidewall rollover. I thought about just upgrading the tires to take 90psi, but wondered about high speed turns, potholes & pinch flats. Bustin' out the laptop I started hunting around for wider 20" BMX rims and surprise surprise - Alex rims now had the exact same DX32 double wall alloy I'd gotten for the rear (26") in a 20" version, more than I could have asked for & in fact wider than I'd hoped to find I bought a set of those puppies before the page had finished loading, or so it seemed heh

They're gonna be monsters lol;

2x Alex DX32 20" 36h Black, 39.1mm Width

Here's a coupla pics of the taddy outdoors for the first time ever, a little muddy, a little snowy it was still worth the filth on a brandy new machine just to finally play for a day;

nice work, glad to hear it is all going well.

did you find any details for the Vapor dash?
i' havent seen that sort of data anywhere, but there are a few here using hour meter/tacho's
do you need to put a min/max parameter into the unit before it will log and display it?

Thanks my67xr, yea - I'm relieved that it went as well as it did lol

The "details" for the Vapor aren't required for it's operation - it quite happily displays the temp/tach info without them, the reason I would like to find the optimum & maximum ranges for the CRF50 clone is the Vapor also has over temp & over speed warning lights, yellow for warning & red for idiot... erm... overtemp/speed.

Lacking the factory data, I'll just figure out averages over time & reset the things - it'd just be nice to have some real numbers to blame heh ;)

Jackshaft oopsie sorted & my new front rims built, this time indexed out (spoke/hub alignment) as much as safely possible to widen the front wheelbase width & gained just a lil over 3/4" (10mm each side = 0.39"x2 = 20mm or 0.78"). The thing was rock stable in turns already, but every lil bit helps & they'd originally been built indexed centered, typical for bicycles.

Dragged the thing outside into a balmy 30°F "spring" morning, I started out doing laps in the lot at 5:30am, tiring of the NASCAR action & everything seeming to be holding together I took off down the road to the corner inconvenience store to grab a cawfee and ran into a problem...

...I didn't get my cawfee till almost an hour later, I made it to the store just fine, never made in the door as apparently the public finds this thing somewhat interesting, I hadn't even managed to shut her down and had the store clerk, a random customer & a cop all eyeballin' every inch & askin' a billion questions while I was trying to clean the windsnot off my face... well 'cept the cop whom just nodded, said "nice" with a smile & wandered off to do whatever law officers do 6am Easter Sunday lol

About an hour & a half later (one small cawfee?) I was left w/a dilemma, I didn't really want to head off to parts unknown with a test vehicle but I really didn't feel like doing anymore lot laps & after some musing decided it was time to take the back road I always use for shakedown & speed runs, hilly & twisty but with pavement that's mostly ok I've a friend that lives around the halfway point in case Murphy attacks... a touch early for a surprise visit maybe, but I didn't think they'd mind.

It's quite a rush riding this thing, feet first & ass less than a foot off the ground I'm comfy but disconcerted and even pedal speeds feels like mach 1, starting out with a long but gentle uphill grade the lil 49cc four stroke & electric worked in harmony even while I tried to figure out which gear range worked best for the incline. Clearing the hill top the road goes into a coupla gentle curves, a mild downhill & then another long uphill, this one no joke it gets gradually steeper & it drops my 66cc two smokers down to 15mph, my ebike to about 11 (if I don't help) - but the hybrid tadpole shrugged it off & maintained 20 to 25mph all the way up, which may not sound amazing - but then again none of my two smokers could manage that, not even my geared & built "fast" one, the torque advantage of both the electric and the four stroke really coming into play on hills, the takeoff acceleration from a stop impressive as well.

A couple more unremarkable hills, a few more twisties and I found myself at the turn to my friends house, the turn drops right into a short but crazy steep downhill, the one I blame for so many burned out tires as I try to slow at the base to cut into my friend's driveway - no worries with the taddy as the front discs work wonderfully well, doubled up as they are with the two front wheels n'all... but it was getting back up it from a near dead stop that gave me pause as no bike I've built can take that monster, every single one requires me to stand on the pedals & pedaling as furiously hard as I can just to make it to the top.

Ah well I figured, I'll chill w/my friend and see what happens & after some time shootin' the bull & checkin' the ride over for problems it was time to try - and after making a big deal about how "I might not make it up, don't worry", crossing my fingers & hoping I wasn't about to smoke the ehub or pop the four smoker I dropped her down into low/low range and...

...trucked right on up that hill like nobody's business, I didn't even pedal a stroke! Stunned I sat at the intersection at the top for a moment thinking "did that just happen?" & chuckling, shifted into cruse range & took off, still laughing to myself, my foolishness & what to all appearances seems like a successful build FTW

Not that the tinkerin' is over ofc, not by a long shot I'd just doubled width in rims, lightly wider wheelbase and while the results were amazing with no sidewall flex or rollover, I've still got to adjust the alignment as it's only eyeballed & I'm scrubbing, which makes it a lil twitchy, drags down my speed & wears the fronts - given that and my "testing phase" heeby-jeebys, not to mention this is the first tadpole recumbent, or any recumbent I've ever ridden, I didn't exceed 30mph... which again as it's just a 49cc four stroke really isn't bad at all (e assist konks out at about 25), she had more but I wasn't ready for that yet, time enough for speed tests after I weld my rear brake caliper mount on & sort the alignment.

Still, a good day indeed lol;

new rims: vs old:

Out n'about at last;

Sorry, no vids at all this time - although had the cam & tripod with me I was so preoccupied it just didn't happen, I'm sure ya'll understand heh

yee gods! i see an electric motor, a petrol motor, pedals...all it needs is a canopy made of solar panels and youre set! $5 a ride pays for petty and food, everything else just sort of happens...

id love to see some dif and CV joints so pedals drive the front end. only reason i havent made a recumbent is because of that silly long chain they all have... but thinking of it, 1:5 rc car diff and shafts... this a modified greenspeed type thing or complete scratch build? i could read the thread but i gotta make a comment first!

Well, I've a plan to build a cargo trailer w/some panels & reserve storage batteries under it for the longer trips, like camping & whatnot so you've about got it lol & yeah, I scratch built it... mostly, I didn't build the motors ofc, the A arms are from a 'Yerf Dog' kart but chopped & slammed, rear stays from a 'NEXT' mountain bike, I bought the seat, etc., etc - it's a pile of repurposed abomineering really ;)

You've a pretty good idea there with powering the fronts, I really really wanted to do dual electric hubs in the front instead of the one (larger) electric hub in the back for full three wheel drive, but ran into a snag - at the time there weren't any electric hubs well suited to the task of being single-side mounted with disc brakes, as well as one reversed (other side). I gave a lot of thought to a center mounted electric w/shafts to the fronts, but that got a bit hinky with the dual A arm suspension, the shocks are in the way... without the suspension it's doable, with it it's still doable but a serious PITA lol

The "silly long chain" is indeed silly, but it does make connecting power systems easy - I've zero experience with 1:5 rc (or any remote controlled) stuff... I'll hafta look into it sometime for bits, thanks!

Threw together a test ride vid, the original footage helped immensely with diagnostics;

[video=youtube;bNLTLRx8sTI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNLTLRx8sTI[/video]

Thanks! It's sort of a street-legal mini, though sadly Australia has some rather draconian restrictions on what constitutes a legal motorized bicycle, I think "200w" or 0.26hp... odd & unfortunate given the beautifully expansive riding environment :confused-smiley-014

& :boxing:? No duel here lol, some cyclists defo forget both courtesy and basic physics, they annoy me as well ;)

Sweet mate, and yea we got some great laws here, a while ago they were trying to ban segways... As they went over the power limit LOL yea we have some spechal people running our country ;)

Been a bit busy lately, but I've been tinkerin' away the little stuff & riding when I can - it's all down to detail work & fine tuning now, stuff like making this spring loaded chain tensioner out of some scrap aluminum, a chunk of StarBoard (fancy name for cutting board plastic) & a spring stolen out of a squeeze clamp.

I've only put about twenty miles on the tensioner but it seems to be working out well, I may replace the ramp with a wheel at some point just because I can hear it "ticking" as the links pass over it *shrug* then again I might just get used to it lol

I also made an inner heat shield for the right side saddlebag, as that's the side with the exhaust system. It was a gamble but it's also the only place I can really put any cargo carrying so I had to give it a shot. Putting a metal guard over the pipe was easy, but it wouldn't be enough so a took a bit of heavy fiberglass mat, trimmed it 1/2" smaller than the back of the bag & stuck it to a sheet of self-adhesive heat guard material (auto parts), sticking the thing to the saddlebag I then sealed the edges with vinyl sealant to make sure it stays put, adding tie downs to the bottom of the bags while I was at it.

I worried it'd not be enough to protect the bag & it's contents from the hot exhaust pipe, which other than that metal guard it's in direct contact with. Yet as it turns out the inside of the bag doesn't even get to body temperature no matter if it's sitting there idling or screaming around near redline, it worked out far better than expected, a relief as a bag on fire would be bad news lol;

...& more testing, this time the main reason why I built the thing.

I was planning to build myself a custom trailer, but time's pressing with spring finally here & I'll save that lil project for another time. So, I just bought a cheap one instead: http://www.amazon.com/Aosom-Wanderer-Bicycle-Luggage-Trailer/dp/B0083JHEG8

...which may have been a mistake as it's a total piece of junk. The welds are shoddy, the tubing insanely thin, the wheels were a bad joke & the offset on the hitch arm was way too long putting the trailer offset, out in traffic naturally. The whole thing is so poorly designed with no thought given to any actual use, even aside from it's low quality it's just silly with a ton of wasted space for the "convenience" of being able to fold it up to not much smaller at all - needless to say I don't recommend it.

Anyway, it gave me something to work with & after a couple of sessions in the shop I've fixed some of the issues and it'll do well enough for now. The first test run with it was with Mongo the ebike & the weekly bachelor chow run. Pulling it empty is exciting to say the least - unsuspended it bounces all over the place with every little bump & pothole, but it does seem inclined to stay upright, even so I'll prolly relocate the axles to lower the center of mass as it just seems sketchy.

I hadn't ever had or used a bike trailer before and it's dang odd but laden with a week's worth of munchies it was far better behaved, trundling along behind the ebike like it's supposed to... interestingly it doesn't have that much an effect on the ebike's preformance, about the same as the difference between knobby tires & semi-slicks (3mph), even with it's load of foodstuffs I only lost 4mph on the flats - not bad at all really, I expected worse.

That's not why I got it though, heck I've been getting groceries with motorized bikes rain, snow or shine for years now and I've never needed or wanted a trailer for such mundane tasks as that - nope, I need a trailer for far more interesting stuff, namely the long-distance wanderabouts & camping trips I built the taddy for.

With that in mind I loaded up the trailer with a bunch of random heavy stuff & my honkin' big tent - bigger than I wanted but it was on sale, it's tall enough for me to stand up in & best yet, the screened section is just big enough to park the taddy in, keepin' it safe from the elements & lookie-loos... so I ended up with a "two room cabin w/an attached garage" instead of the little pup tent I meant to get lol;

http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-WeatherMaster-Screened-6-Tent/dp/B001TS6WWC

Anyhoo, the taddy pulled it with ease - so much so it's a bit freaky as I can't even tell it's there, no matter the fact it was overloaded for testing with a lot of heavy tools I'd never need to bring, a bag of books & a bunch of stuff that was just in it for the weight. I chose a rough, pothole riddled dirt road nearby to see if I could break it - I didn't go crazy as the taddy itself is a street machine but it went quite well. I stripped an axle nut, but I'd done that earlier when attaching the hitch and it only served to remind me to replace the cheesium alloy with some quality marine grade fasteners I had but forgot about lol;

In review, it seems the thought of a four stroke/electric hybrid for torque was exactly what's needed - I could have built a much faster two smoker, but it's plenty fast enough & far better yet, consistent. It seems no matter the hill or trailer weight, it just keeps truckin' along - crazy steep incline from a dead stop? Trailer with a hundred pounds of crap? NP - drop a gear range & away we go just to see what's around the next bend :D

An awesome machine mate, love this build :) That last pic looks set for adventure!

Reps to you

Latest posts

Back