newbie problem when revving out 4th

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Screw only governs idle to mid,then needle takes it from there

Your needle only works until just before WOT. At WOT it is all down to the main jet. Your bike will actually run ok even if you take out your main jet if you dont open the throttle all the way. It will flood in a second if you do.

It is quite interesting to do it just so you see where the needle gives out and the main jet takes over.

Your needle only works until just before WOT. At WOT it is all down to the main jet. Your bike will actually run ok even if you take out your main jet if you dont open the throttle all the way. It will flood in a second if you do.

It is quite interesting to do it just so you see where the needle gives out and the main jet takes over.

cass38a - you are bang on it there!!! good to see some people understand carbies.

to the OP, i'd be looking at main jet size, or electrical problem

my 2c.

hey fellas thanks for the replies. had a play with the screw underneath the carbi and it didnt do much. i also forgot to mention that i been running it in on the middle choke because when the choke is off the bike does not even idle.

..keeping in mind that the bike is pretty much brand new and has only been ridden a few times to run in. im going to call pitpro tomorow and see what they say, hopefully ill just have to make a small adjustment. if not im going to take it to some moto shop tomorrow......dun really wanna rock up to peter stevens or nothing with just the pitty to drop off though! so wouldn mind getting this sorted at home! ;)

Just a few more thoughts on your problem now that you have told us some more. I assume you are letting the bike warm up for 10 minutes before you worry about how it is running (never attempt to tune your bike unless it is at normal operating tempreature).
Have you oiled your air filter?
Are you sure you know which way turns the choke on and off?
Have you turned your idle screw in a little bit to see if that is the problem?

Check these things first and get back to us.

cass38a thanks for your reply. yeh i warm up the bike just sit it on idle, then cruise around low rpm in 1st for a bit. then when i let the choke off it dies still. even if i keep the throttle revving and let the choke off it still burp burp... then dies. :) yeh i took the filter off to see which way the choke works just to make sure, but i have not oiled the filter. maybe that could be the problem? i just have the stock black one with the outer black skin removed. il give that a try.

i took a screw driver with me when i went riding to adjust the idle and it seems fine. cold start it with choke on and it sits on idle fine.

i live in geelong but taking a hike out to pitpro today to pick up a mates bike, ill have a word to them and see what they say. im sure its requires some minor adjustment somewhere. and i have the feeling its that air/fuel screw. its just a real pain to. i havent riden it since u fellas told me about that adjusting screw but before turn it i wanna find out which direction of turn equals more fuel. thanks for all your help. im happy to work it out at home as long as i dont have to take it into a bike shop. this is my first bike so im enjoying learning new things and reading as much as i can on here.

Back