Oil Cooler Question.

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

outtacontrol11

Reaction score
Hey everyone, i have an Atomik 150 and the oil line is broke, ive heard about these oil coolers being just a bling thing and not actually working as well as they're supposed to. Would my engine be alright to run the oil cooler line straight from the outlet looped back to the inlet? I'm heading out on the weekend and its not really possible to have a replacement by then.

The bike would be only running for about 20 mins max at a time and i was wondering if it would be ok on the engine?

I tested this on a 125cc and it was the same basic oil cooler your atomik would have. Without the oil cooler the engine was 2 degrees hotter... Which is not a big deal. I tested it on a stinking hot day. If the weather is really hot its safer to have them. But this time of the year you should be fine.

Them big billet ones are POINTLESS , the only effect they have on temp is because they allow more oil in the engine circling through the lines.

Yeah as I said earlier they make 2 degree's difference and it was tested on a 45 degree day. So they are pointless.. it's not enough difference.

Oil coolers dont really serve a purpose in the cooler months, but in the hotter months it might be advisable. But then again, when the oil cooler would benefit is on the hotter days, when it would be to hot to ride anyway.

Id like to know how these have been tested? Im guessing with the oil drain plug that has the temperature on it?

Id like to know how these have been tested? Im guessing with the oil drain plug that has the temperature on it?

you can buy a dip stick with a temperature gauge..

you can buy a dip stick with a temperature gauge..

Spot on what I did :) You can get them pretty cheap from jap bike shops. The drip stick ones are really good as you can always look down and see what it's at.

if you go hecticly fast it will cool the engine better, but the engine will be hotter so youl have to go fast to cool it more but that will make it even hotter, so you have to go like so fast the engine doesnt even think its going then it wont get hot:)

if you go hecticly fast it will cool the engine better, but the engine will be hotter so youl have to go fast to cool it more but that will make it even hotter, so you have to go like so fast the engine doesnt even think its going then it wont get hot:)

or you could fall of a lot, that would give the engine a few seconds here and there to cool down ;)

Last edited:
The Billet ones are pointless almost with only 2 degrees difference in temp. But the proper radiatior style coolers would offer some decent benefits I believe.

in the cooler months here in melbourne i have to cover up my front mount cooler to get more heat into the engine.

i use an infa-red heat gun on the oil bango from the engine to get an approx oil temp. with all the money ive 'invested' into my new motor i might get one of those in-line daytona digital temp guages so i dont cook the forged wisco piston

Yeah nice I think that would be the way to go grnman you dont want to fry your engine thats the last thing you want. Im not going to worry about a temp sensor untill I work the engine...

i rode and raced with the oil cooler disconnected from my 140 made no differnce whatsoever and the engine is still going no worries,but i plugged both the cooler pipes,removed the side cover and drill a hole between the outlet and inlet.also removed any chance of blowing or catching an oil line on something in the bush

in the cooler months here in melbourne i have to cover up my front mount cooler to get more heat into the engine.

i use an infa-red heat gun on the oil bango from the engine to get an approx oil temp. with all the money ive 'invested' into my new motor i might get one of those in-line daytona digital temp guages so i dont cook the forged wisco piston

Who sells the digital temp guages??

Back