PW80 2 Smoker problems.

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

outtacontrol11

Reaction score
Hey everyone i know its not a mini, but ive had heaps of help with my mini's on here so i thought i would try with this one.

The bike starts and idle's preety well but not 100%. Once i click it into gear it just stalls out. If roll started 1st gear is good hits band, but 2nd gear is preety awfull and 3rd gear is useless just dies completely.

If i shift back down to first its good untill it comes time to shift into second.
The Carby has been cleaned as well as a new plug added and fresh fuel, any help would be greatly appreciated.

I had the same kinda problem with mine awile ago . it had a little bit of dirt in slator/flywheel area . Your problem might not be the same but give it a go anyway Neva know it might work lol

could be a couple of things...

weak stator!!
damaged reeds!!
poor compression!!
blocked exhaust!!
simply a bad plug or too much oil in the fuel!!

+1 on the blocked exhaust, the most common problem on these bikes is a blocked exhaust

Thanks for the reply's, i have checked the carby and made sure the choke isn't staying on this morning. i soaked the carby overnight and also reasembled the carby...but still have the same problem? Im going to pull the top end off now and make new gaskets an make sure the crank case is sealing, maybe this would help?

if the bottom of the barrel wasn't sealing it would more than likely whistle when it runs.
also you can't make a head gasket because of the compression sealing ring (or in some cases it being solid brass) so your stuck with your original one or genuine replacement.

solid brass ones you can re-anneal by putting them in the oven for a bit.. it brings the soft particles to the surface for resealing... (google brass head gasket re-annealing) its common

pulling the top end apart is the absolute last thing to try..
do basic stuff first..
replace spark plug
check reeds are sealing.. iv had them where a stick or bit of crap has forced one of the reed flaps open which gives next to no manifold vacuum..

cant remember if the 80's have the same kill switch as the 50's (start and run selection) if so then disconnect the kill switch too.

theres so many things in a 2 stroke to make them act up its not funny.
crank seals are common.. right hand side will cause the engine to smoke bad as it will suck in gearbox oil.. left hand side will cause a decent vacuum leak.

holy crap you guys know your stuff. I've decided to strip down the motor as its for the young fella, and put a new top end, reeds, carby and crank seals so there is many years left in the bike. Thanks heaps for all the reply's really appreciate it.

Back