The I'm just doing thread

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My old man , was panel beater spray painter. So done bit work with him years ago. Yeah its hard on hands for shore.
Didn't know all that about super glue! :)
Was few fellas at school had the cuts on face glue'd up after punch up!..

Just getting stuck into a couple of beers! Last day of work for the year!
Yeeeeeew!
Day of rest first, then riding on Friday.
After working ten days straight this beer is tasting so damn good!
Holidays here I come!

My old man , was panel beater spray painter. So done bit work with him years ago. Yeah its hard on hands for shore.
Didn't know all that about super glue! :)
Was few fellas at school had the cuts on face glue'd up after punch up!..

have had a ridiculous amount of cuts a red raw hands from wet rubbing hahaha only good thing bout spray painting is the finished product :D ohhh and the pay lol

just helpin the old man put holley 600 on a 253! didn't work well with #66 jets, so put #57's in an didn't make much difference!! Go back to the holley 465 Lemon now lol!

just helpin the old man put holley 600 on a 253! didn't work well with #66 jets, so put #57's in an didn't make much difference!! Go back to the holley 465 Lemon now lol!

Go the Rochester mate from memory their 720 or 760 cfm? Best fuel mileage out of a 253 ever! Plus Big Bang for your buck when you put your foot down, better than a 600 Holley IMO!

Go the Rochester mate from memory their 720 or 760 cfm? Best fuel mileage out of a 253 ever! Plus Big Bang for your buck when you put your foot down, better than a 600 Holley IMO!

yeah, the rochesters aint bad, old man had one on his 318. but the little 253 couldn't really handle the venturi of the 600, massive bog down low, and sputtering revs. up top was great tho!! gonna have to buy a 2-barrel adapter plate an get holly 500, or maybe get the street avenger version of the 465, with le mans bowls, etc...
but to anyone looking to buy their next carb for 253/308, steer clear of holley 465....
*rant*

She just ain't tuned right bro! I had a rocky on my 253 vc wagon, fuel efficient as day to day! And absolutely flew with the pedal down. There was a half decent flat spot in the middle but get you gear and revs right and that becomes minimal!

What ever you do, do not pull a Rochester apart though! Trust me on this....

Hmmm, I see. the bloke that lent us the carb said it would run fine, but we spent ages tryin to get it right, but to no avail.....
Oh and your too right when it comes to pullin the rochesters apart! bloody chinese puzzle right there!!

Holleys, the accelerator pump needed adjusting, loosen the bolt/nut on the plunger spring at the front

Hmmm, I see. the bloke that lent us the carb said it would run fine, but we spent ages tryin to get it right, but to no avail.....
Oh and your too right when it comes to pullin the rochesters apart! bloody chinese puzzle right there!!

Trust me mate, been there done that. I may not be a master spanner spinner with mini's but I've spent a sheeet load of Time around old Holden's.

as soon as the throttle lever moves, fuel should be squirting down the 2 front barrels of the carby from the acellerator pump nozzle
if it's not then you will have a big flat spot down low.

this part-

the bolt/nut that you need to loosen is shown here in this pic, directly below the fuel inlet barb.

if loosening that bolt/nut doesn't help, it might need an new accelerator pump diaphram, most decent parts shops/speed shop sell them

you need to take the carby off,
and underneath the front fuel bowl, the squarish plate holds the diaphram and spring, to the fuel bowl.
there is 4 philips head screws that hold it on,
they're easy to swap over.

just thinking too, the squirter nozzles can block up too, there's 2 tiny holes that the fuel squirts through.
to take the squirter off there is a large philips head screw,
and be carefull not to loose the bearing that sits doew the threaded hole when the squirter is taken out

Last edited:
yeah, I see. well we got nothing to lose here so mite aswell try! we originally bought it off hume performance, a reco-job, and it has never ever run properly on the 253. its buggin the hell out of my old man, lol!

my guess is, it's most likely the adjustment on the accelerator pump, bolt/nut spring at the front.
use a couple of 3/8", iirc, spanners,
hold the bolt head, and undo the nut about 1 full turn from where it is now, then pull the throttle lever back while watching for fuel coming out the squirter
it should squirt as soon as the throttle moves

if you think i know a bit about bikes, that's nothing compared to cars, lol

cheers craig, I don't doubt your knowledge for 1 minute lol, but yeah this carb is either starved for fuel 1 minute, or flooding the next... my dad an me hav built a few cars together, and we have always used holleys, never had this problem before! I might start a thread, instead of hi-jack ing cordogs!
P.S. sorry for the thread jack mate

I just finished putting together Cjs' big Xmas present,
a 12 foot Springless Trampoline, it took 2 hours 45 mins by myself, thanks a heap Santa !!!!

at least Jakes' present, an Ipad Air 64GB was easy enough to set up.....

Latest posts

Back