Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can't put roller rockers in a stock head can you?

I reckon you can fit them,
but you will need to use the smoother/rounded profile Roller camshaft at the same time.

Loco, when you pulled the valves and springs out, dis you end up finding a thin black washer?
It may have been stuck to one of the valce springs?
The washers are fitted to the head for the springs to sit on, so they dont hammer the alloy spring seats.
There was only 1 washer in the head when i unpacked it.

Last edited:
I reckon you can fit them,
but you will need to use the smoother/rounded profile Roller camshaft at the same time.

Loco, when you pulled the valves and springs out, dis you end up finding a thin black washer?
It may have been stuck to one of the valce springs?
The washers are fitted to the head for the springs to sit on, so they dont hammer the alloy spring seats.
There was only 1 washer in the head when i unpacked it.

hmm... i cant say i did touch the valve seats... only removed the valves so thats odd...

Ok, i've got another update for you, i have some Good News and some Bad News .......

I have just picked up the head from the machinist after getting the valve seats recut.
Well they look Schmick now !!
So now i can get it cleaned, packed up, and into the post this arvo for you.
I did a bit of searching here and found another spring seat off a spare head to replace your's that was missing too.

Now for the Bad News.....
Your head has come up better than mine :mmph:
So the Bad News is for me, i need to do a bit more work to my head now !! :laughing-smiley-002

Thanks Stu,
It should be a big improvement from stock.
When the new valves have finally worn out Loco can just get some oversized Stainlees Steel ones, and have the seats recut to suit.
I didn't finish the combustion chamber to a mirror finish as i've put too much time into this head already.
The close up shots are macro, so show up the fine scratch's too much.

#DUDE YOU ARE AN ABSOLUTE LEGEND
but really man, i couldnt thank you enough! I Cant wait to get this beast all hooked up and purring like a kitten,
an angry kitten that is!
yeah cheers craig, really looks like you've put some hard earned hours into it!
the fine scratches should be alright!

Now just to double check everything is back in the box for you.
You sent the YX head, camshaft, cam chain tensioner including the spring, bolt and the tensioner gasket, cam gear cover gasket, exhaust studs x2,

Do you have the cam gear cover and nuts,
2x rocker covers and 4x bolts,
the camshaft retainer plate and the 2x 5mm countersunk screws that hold it to the head?

One cam cover stud was missing (only had 3?)

I pulled your cam chain tensioner apart and checked it out, now i see why you weren't sure on it.
Yeah, your threads are stripped out of the locking bolt hole in the middle.
I have put a spare tensioner of mine in there to fix that problem.

yeah ive go that spare cam cover stud with nut on it :p
yeah i need x2 M5 hex heads for the camshaft retainer plate... so i can torque it to spec..
ohh thanks for the tensioner... yeah it felt a tad odd...
yeah sounds like everything is there!

It's now in the hands of Australia Post, i'll pm you the Tracking # too

I forgot about those 2 spring seat washer's.
When i went to pay, they were in my pocket with some coins, so they put them in an envelope and taped them to the side of the box, marked 'Washers' enclosed.
Also i put in a couple of M5 countersunk bolts for the cam retainer, and taped them to the cardboard wrapped around the head inside the box.

ok, so ive ran into a bit of an issue... so lets say i kick it over, the flywheel move about 10-5mm back and forth, and wont make a full revolution, ive gotta go and find the oilfiter holder to hold the flywheel in place so i can crack the nut on the shaft,,
when i kick it over its only operating the valves, not piston too
i think i may need to split the cases.....

ok, so ive ran into a bit of an issue... so lets say i kick it over, the flywheel move about 10-5mm back and forth, and wont make a full revolution, ive gotta go and find the oilfiter holder to hold the flywheel in place so i can crack the nut on the shaft,,
when i kick it over its only operating the valves, not piston too
i think i may need to split the cases.....
Put the bike in 4th gear, foot on rear break and then try to crack it with a long breaker bar. or a rag between the clutch gear and crank gear.

Not sure why it would go forward and then rock back.. Wait is this with the head off? or have you got it installed?

did the head arrive ?
if you are doing it without the head on, the slack cam chain is probably locking it up

did the head arrive ?
if you are doing it without the head on, the slack cam chain is probably locking it up
exactly what i was going to say :p
Turn the crank backwards with a strong tug on the chain to pull it to its original length.
Then if you wish to rotate the crank pull the chain a little with your finger and let it slide so it does not bunch up and mess up around the camchain area

LOL! yeah i forgot to mention the amazing head arrived! my bad :p
I couldn't be anymore happier with how the head turned out! Thanks so much My67xr!

C69BE277-0343-4F50-B30F-09A24510DA8F_zpstkqxdlu6.jpg

545FF4F3-E3CA-4BB7-AD2D-848FE8ACB2EA_zps4fbulcmx.jpg

08937DD8-24F4-4674-8D0E-66BB6E430B58_zpsriq8ljzu.jpg

http://i1290.photobucket.com/albums...5-63A1-4157-9014-890A2BCC85B9_zpsfljuhitu.jpg

0FE2239B-FC88-4F4A-B263-8C88A0ED8E26_zpstgkqgocg.jpg

8CCAB322-69A4-41FC-9C58-B49CE582972C_zpsufmotoaf.jpg

so placed her in the bike hooked it all up and found that when i kicked it over the flywheel would not do a full revolution, so i spoke to snaptrax about it, and he is thinking i have assembled the clutch incorrectly, knowing me i probably did.... yeah so the clutch is slipping, the inner still moves reasonably freely so ive just gotta have a squiz at it... cheers loco

did you suss out how the timing chain tensioner works before you put it back in ?

yeah i took the middle bolt out and fitted the tensioner body then put the spring in and tightened the main bolt just a bit before firm, trying to look after it knowing its alloy and what not...
yeah im about to go and mess around with this clutch.... fun!
lol!
i'll try get her running... or at least fire...

I think i found my problem last night... the clutch inner may of not been sitting correctly as when i pulled the pressure plate off i notices that i could spin the inner pretty easy, now ive realigned it without the pressure plate on with springs... its much harder to turn.
i also found that on the flywheel taper it had abit of surface rust so i cleaned it off with some cloth and wd-40... it dosent look like it started to pit so thats the main thing! also the flywheel nut got slightly damaged when i was removing it... but ive got a spare and repaired the original one.. but i wont use it, as its a bit *i*ky to put on.... should try and kick it over tonight and get the earth wire mounts finished up, i'll try get a couple of spark plugs too

make sure you use a rag in between the gears for tightening of the flywheel.. That thing has to be tiight or the bastard vibrates loose

Back